Projects earn 0.3 or 1.0 Professional Studies RID CEUs per project (or equiv clock hours certificate).
These projects are for the written study of specialized vocabulary and increased overall vernacular to improve the foundation of an interpreter's voicing skills, terminology recognition and accurate word comprehension. RID CEUs are overseen & administered by RID Sponsor: Ginevra Deianni. Project topic choices include:
- L1 Vocabulary Builder for Better Voice Interpreting - Part 1 & Part 2: 1.0 RID Professional Studies CEUs. Good voice interpreters have a large vocabulary of English terminology to chose from to best match their clients in any situation. In this course, you will expand your "toolbox" of words needed for good voicing skills. Participants need to purchase the book "Merriam Webster's Vocabulary builder" independently (available inexpensively at any booksellers, or public library) and work through short weekly workbook-style lessons to build vocabulary over 12 chapters. You send in the end-of-chapter tests to show your learning.
- L1 Vocabulary Builder for Better Voice Interpreting - Short Form: 0.5 RID Professional Studies CEUs. This is the same course as above, but only 1/2 the work (6 chapters), to earn 0.5 CEUs. You can choose any 6 units from the book for this project - and you can do multiple projects by choosing a different set of 6 units.
- Latin Medical Terminology for Interpreters Courses: 1.0 RID Professional Studies CEUs. Medical interpreters must understand latin-based medical terminology in order to properly interpret in medical settings. In this course, you are provided with the workbook that walks you through 12 Chapters of the latin terminology of medicine (you do not need to purchase any other book/text). You complete 2-page unit tests at the end of each chapter and send in your answers for credit.
- NEW! Medical Terminology Interpreting Practice P2: 1.0 RID Professional Studies CEUs. Latin Medical Terminology for Interpreters is a pre-requisite to register for this project. Participants study medical vocabulary and concepts in ASL and choose words from the previous latin medical terminology project to interpret into a recorded video to show the RID sponsor. A link or hard copy of this video is the end product of your work. Any video format can be used.
- Legal interpreting/terminology for ASL Interpreters: 0.3 RID Professional Studies CEUs: Understand legal terms is the foundation of interpreting in legal settings. This program allows you to use any legal dictionary of your choice (purchased or obtained on your own), to customize your project to fit the words you need to learn for your current work. You choose the legal words to define and learn concept for in ASL and build a larger vocabulary skill set in both English & ASL. (*can do this project multiple times to build a larger & larger vocabulary: Part 1, 2, 3, etc..)
The English Vocabulary Study requires that you purchase and use "Merriam Webster’s Vocabulary Builder" (available on-line and at local booksellers or libraries). For the Medical Terminology Course, the 300-page Medical Terminology Manual is emailed to you as a PDF to print and write in, but you are also provided the name of the text to purchase on-line if you prefer a spiral bound workbook of your own to work in. For the Legal Terminology Program: participants are welcome to use any legal dictionary they want.
Please feel free to email us anytime to ask for curriculum specifics on any project, or sample questions/materials. We want you to feel comfortable with what you are registering for.